Friday, March 2, 2018

Day 69: The Struggling Artist

One day I met a guy that does ceramics, he was very passionate about hand scuplting. We connected really well, I was impressed by his skill.

Recently he contacted me and I've met him again, this time in Barcelona where after a long chain of events he is squatting the place where he lives now and has no income. He relies on food disposed by supermarkets and bakeries and that's basically what he eats, and to smoke he collects what he calls ''chustas' which are unfinished cigarrettes in spanish slang. Recently he has had the landlords cut off his water supply. A friend close by lets him shower at his home.

Many living in the so called third world countries live far worse than he is doing curretntly but, come on, no one should have to live off off disposed food, have no running water and zero income. I bought a little piece of his art for what I could afford at the moment, 9 euros, and he bought two smoking papers packets for 1 euro - to rooll the tabacco from the 'chustas' - and said that he should really manage the money left well. 

Living at this level, I have never lived at this barely minimum level. And no one should have to. This is why I support a Universal Basic Income.
What could he do with a basic income? Aside from paying his living expenses, it would be awesome the art he would create. He also dabbles in making his own electronic music and needs a new computer to do it and he wants to build a ceramics oven - pretty cool things he would do with a basic income. No one should be an 'struggling artist' - this term should disappear.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear living at the baremum minimum and have no income. 

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myslef to want to help out K, without seeing, realizing and understanding that I cannot 'save' anyone.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to want to give money to K, without seeing, realizing and understanding that I a not in a position to give money to anyone.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear having no income

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear living on the streets.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe that I coudl never end up like K.

I forgive myself that I have not accepted and allowed myself to see that in this system it is very possible to end up with nothing.

I forgive myself that I have not accepted and allowed myself to ensure that everyone has enough.

I commit myself to walk until all have a basic income, until all have a basic quailty of life.

I commit myself to remind myelf that I have to become effective in this system, so as to not have to find myself without a job in the future.

I commit myself to remind myself that I have to be ruthless, as the system is ruthless, so I have to be ruthless in standing up for myself, both in the system and as who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment